“Inclusion is the process of taking necessary steps to ensure that every young person is given an equality of opportunity to develop socially, to learn and to enjoy community life”
This is how Norfolk defines inclusion across the county, however, if you wish to find out more read on…
At Parkside we are committed to a policy of inclusive education that is not just restricted to issues of placements but which involves the whole school community. This means that:
- We are dedicated to responding to individual pupil needs by providing a high quality appropriate learning experience; and
- We are committed to working with pupils, their parents/carers and other professionals involved with the child in order to provide the best possible opportunities.
As part of this Inclusion Initiative we aim to:
- Provide all pupils with opportunities for mainstream experiences and, subject to review procedures, proactively consider the possibility of a full time transition to a mainstream school;
- Provide supported mainstream experiences for all Year 4 pupils, continuing this into Year 5 and beyond, subject to review and appropriateness of the placement;
- Further develop our partnership with parents and carers;
- Work alongside mainstream colleagues to develop more flexible approaches to meeting the needs of all pupils, whether mainstream or special. In some cases providing opportunities for mainstream pupils/groups to join with our pupils and in other cases for our pupils/groups to attend the mainstream school for an identified activity;
- Work with the Education Authority and other professionals to provide mainstream schools with support and practical advice in meeting the needs of identified pupils; and
- Increase teacher and teaching assistant awareness, access and expertise between Parkside, other special and mainstream schools.
Please ask for further information if you are interested. We believe that an inclusive school is one that treats pupils as individuals and works together with parents/carers and other professionals to achieve this.